BOONE COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETY
2017 MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
Boone County Medical Society (BCMS) was formed in 1902 by local physicians in Boone County and through the years we have absorbed Howard and Cooper Counties as well. We are a component society with Missouri State Medical Association (MSMA) which means that in order to belong to BCMS you must belong to MSMA also. However, you are able to belong to MSMA without belonging to BCMS but we would encourage you to join BCMS, your local representation to organized medicine.
Dues to BCMS have not risen in over 17 years. Not many, if any, organizations can make that statement. Your BCMS board and officers have been very diligent and frugal with your dues monies. We have six different types of memberships (residents, honorary, student and retired physicians pay no dues).
when you pay your MSMA dues.
Highlights of our current activities
We have 3-4 CME/general membership dinner meetings per year (no charge for members) and financially support at least two Boone Hospital Center CME seminars per year that our members can attend at no cost. This means we offer at least 11 CME credits yearly. Our members are also able to attend CME meetings sponsored at other societies for a discounted fee.
We have 2-3 DIG (Doctor Interest Group) dinner meetings per year (no charge for members) with speakers that may or may not carry CME.
Annual Gala in January with our new officers being installed, our Distinguished Physician Award presented, 50 year physicians acknowledged, entertainment and dinner. For 2017 our event was held at the County Club of Missouri and Josiah Bryan & the Jazz Couriers performed.
We are a sister medical society with the Republic of Georgia Medical Society. We work closely with the founders of ACTS (A Call to Serve) and have had many of our physician members go to the Country of Georgia to train their physicians with new technology. The current program is resuscitating full term newborns that are struggling to breathe. The Republic of Georgia Medical Society President is an honorary member of BCMS. We support and send our physicians on missions to this country.
We work with Mizzou Medical Society members and have two liaisons from their society on our board. For their summer orientation fair we purchase Taylor hammers and Maxwell Guides for each new MU Medical School recruit joining Mizzou Medical Society. In 2016 we implemented the first MU Resident Director Program luncheon and over 90 Mizzou Med Society members attended.
In January we financially assist and recruit physicians to act as mentors for MUlation.
Missouri Physicians Health Program is supported through a yearly donation from BCMS.
Yearly physicians are nominated by their colleagues for a Distinguished Physician Award; chosen by our Distinguished Physician Award Committee and honored at our January Gala.
Have an active Alliance for physician spouses. We work together to sponsor joint events. One of those events is our annual Mizzou Tailgate held at the stadium prior to an MU football game in the fall.
Have two scholarship funds (BCMS and Ladenson) which we manage and award yearly.
Publish a bi-monthly 16 page commercial free newsletter.
Retired physicians meet monthly for lunch.
We work closely with MSMA; providing delegates and Resolutions to the annual spring MSMA convention; white coat rally day, etc.
While the legislature is in session we keep members informed and are supportive of legislative issues. MSMA does an outstanding job of keeping all of us abreast on current happenings.
There are six physicians on our board and three physician officers that meet monthly to make the decisions that affect members.
RECENT AND CONTINUING ACHIEVEMENTS
- Worked closely with the City of Columbia and the Health Department to adopt the Columbia Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Ordinance.
- The AMA incoming President, Dr. David Barbe, spent the day with the BCMS board and then met with our members presenting a CME topic of Health System Reform.
- Partnering with MO Million Hearts to host a fall conference here in Columbia.
- Bylaws are continuing to be rewritten and updated
- Membership survey on survey monkey has been concluded
- Mission Statement rewritten and adopted
- Financial advisor consulted
- Reworking 2017 budget as to best use for members’ dues
- Email addresses for our members continue to be collected
- Interesting topics and speakers being selected for our 2017 programs
- Committee member positions are being filled
- Missouri Medicine for 2017 – 8 of our members have been appointed to the Publications Committee
- Representatives of BCMS: MSMA Vice Councilor – 1 member; AMA delegate- 1 member; AMA Council for Judicial and Ethical Affairs – 1 member; AMA Legislative Council – 1 member and MSMA Chair of the YPS – 1.
- Variety of other updates being considered to keep us fresh and meaningful to members